Press "Enter" to skip to content

Hong Kong Fireplace Traps A whole bunch on Rooftop of Constructing

HONG KONG — A whole bunch of individuals have been trapped for hours on the roof of a industrial constructing in Hong Kong after a hearth broke out on Wednesday, injuring not less than 13 folks and forcing firefighters to rescue many by ladder.

The fireplace started about 12:30 p.m., throughout lunch hour, on the World Commerce Heart within the crowded neighborhood of Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island. The 38-story constructing homes workplaces, eating places and a shopping center on its decrease flooring.

Greater than 300 folks have been trapped on the roof for not less than three hours, the general public broadcaster RTHK reported. By late afternoon, greater than 1,200 folks had been evacuated from the constructing, the police mentioned.

At the least 13 folks have been despatched to hospitals for therapy, many for smoke inhalation, together with one one that was semiconscious.

The authorities didn’t instantly reveal the reason for the fireplace. The South China Morning Post newspaper reported {that a} preliminary investigation urged it had damaged out in {an electrical} change room on the primary ground, then unfold to scaffolding surrounding elements of the constructing.

Photographs and video footage shared on social media confirmed dense smoke wafting from the decrease flooring. Individuals crowded onto roofs and outside terraces as they awaited rescue.

Rescue crews have been seen treating folks on stretchers in the street.

Firefighters used extendable ladders to rescue folks, and so they deployed two water jets and two groups geared up with respiration apparatuses to battle the blaze, the federal government mentioned.

Causeway Bay is among the busiest industrial districts in Hong Kong, crammed with outlets, eating places and malls close to Victoria Harbor, which separates Hong Kong Island from the Kowloon Peninsula.

The authorities closed close by streets to assist battle the blaze and evacuate folks.

Final yr, seven folks have been killed and greater than a dozen have been injured after a hearth broke out at an unlicensed restaurant within the Jordan neighborhood of Hong Kong. The fireplace was believed to have been began by candles that had been lit to rejoice a birthday and the Diwali pageant.

Pleasure Dong contributed reporting.

Source link

Comments are closed.